Around four in 10 mums and dads believe air pollution in the area surrounding their homes has become increasingly severe in recent years.
And half fear this has directly impacted their own health or the health of those they live with – including their children.
However six in 10 parents have only considered the health impact of polluted outdoors air – rather than polluted indoor air.
The research of 2,000 adults – including 1,377 parents – was commissioned by Airthings, makers of smart radon and indoor air quality monitors.
A spokesman said: “Radon is the number one cause of lung cancer among non-smokers.
“In fact, radon-induced lung cancer kills more people than house fires and carbon monoxide combined.
“It’s an invisible radioactive gas with no smell or taste and comes from rocks and soil.
“Low levels can be found in the air outside however levels of radon can be higher inside buildings – homes included.”
The research also found half of those polled don’t know what radon is and two thirds didn’t know it can cause cancer.
Similarly, eight in 10 have no idea what volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are, with 80 per cent unaware they can cause eye, nose and throat irritation.
More than half said their homes haven’t been tested for radon or VOCs, while a third admitted they don’t know one way or the other.
Worryingly, 60 per cent of those polled have experienced symptoms associated with poor indoor air quality or noticed them among those they live with.
Symptoms commonly endured include frequent headaches (25 per cent), constant dryness and irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, and skin (22 per cent) and ongoing fatigue (21 per cent).
A fifth also have a tendency or noticed a tendency among their cohabitees to cough and sneeze.
The Airthings study, carried out through OnePoll, also found nine in 10 regularly do things in their home which could increase levels of radon and VOCs.
Almost half don’t often open the windows when cooking, 42 per cent frequently burn candles and a third use diffusers in their homes.
A spokesman for Airthings added: “In addition to testing your home for radon and VOCs there are simple steps you can take to reduce levels of these gasses.
“But the first step is to have your home tested to get an indication of the severity of the problem.
“There are also things you can do to minimise VOCs in particular – such as ditching toxic chemicals and using natural cleaning products, opening windows, vacuuming regularly and having lots of house plants in the house.”
SYMPTOMS/EFFECTS OF VOCs BRITS HAVE NOTICED IN THEIR HOMES:
1. Their home has mould
2. Their children developed a cough
3. They developed a persistent cough
4. It affected their energy levels
5. Their children don’t play outside as much/very often
6. The plants in their garden have struggled/died
7. Their lung condition or their child’s lung condition (e.g asthma) has worsened
8. They have to keep their windows closed all year round
9. They don’t cycle to work anymore as a result
10. They have developed breathing difficulties
TIPS FOR REDUCING VOCs IN YOUR HOME:
• Open the windows
• Do not smoke indoors
• Keep air humidity levels between 30 per cent to 50 per cent
• Avoid synthetic fragrances such as plug ins and candles
• Use house plants
• Ditch the toxic chemicals – use natural cleaning products
• Improve ventilation
• Vacuum regularly
• Remove your shoes when you come in
• Test your home with an air quality monitor and use an air purifier if required